Minutes SeVEDS Board Meeting
January 5th – 2-4PM
Hannah Cosman Room Brattleboro
In attendance: Laura Sibilia, Jenna Pugiliese, Patrick Moreland, Bill Colvin, Colby Dix, Dave Alstadt, Gregg Noble, Stephan Morse, Tim Cullenen, Lisa Sullivan, Julia Sorenson, Susan McMahon, Bob Stevens, Barb Sondag, Drew Richards
Absent: Jeff Lewis, Dan Yates
Financials were reviewed
Minutes from 12/15/2011: Colby made a motion to approve the minutes of the 12/15 meeting, 2nd by Lisa Sullivan VOTE: Unanimous
Updates on funding: Laura provided updates on the following funding sources/opportunities
- Midyear report to ACCD – completed
- EDA Technical Assistance –budget needs to be revised to remove indirect costs, BDCC needs to sign off on application and final support letters secured.
- 501 c(3) formation –no update
- CEDS RFP – Board reviewed draft wants to wait to release RFP until there is an indication from EDA that project will be funded. A few minor edits were suggested.
- Windham County Economic Summit – Laura and Susan to work on draft
Discuss recommendation of small group to:
- Approve PR – PR to be revised by communications task force: Lisa, Greg, Colby, Julia, Laura
- Identify public and private groups to meet with: Scheduling is underway and critical to next year funding. PR needs to be released to promote interest in meeting for civic groups. Select boards to be personally asked for invitation.
Discuss what actions SeVEDS can begin to take from the Strategies and Objectives document:
1. Stephan and Colby were added to the existing workforce small group of Julia, David and Laura to begin working on Objective 2 (below) and immediately on italicized
- 4. Develop a Workforce Center of Excellence Collaborative between providers and users of workforce development services that identifies and connects existing workforce development assets, defines future workforce requirements and gaps by September 2012
Key Metric: Recommend Preferred Workforce Development Collaborative Plan by December 2012
- a. Map workforce development assets and define gaps to be filled
- b. Build strategic relationships between assets
- c. Define 3 to 5 Career Pathways that will meet the needs of the priority industries
- d. Identify workforce development Best Practices appropriate to the region
- e. Recommend Preferred Workforce Development Collaborative Plan by December 2012
- Increase 20-44 age group employment by 20% in five years
Key Metric: By January 2012 Define Top 3 – 5 Industry Clusters with the potential for increasing high-value jobs within the next five years
- By January 2012 Define Top 3 – 5 Industry Clusters with the potential for increasing high-value jobs within the next five years
- Create Action Teams in Q1-2012 around Clusters to identify Strengths (Assets), Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats and value chain gaps
- c. Prioritize at least 2 Clusters for Opportunity Analysis Research that will Action 3.2.D – define at least 2 Niche Markets per Cluster for implementation by October 2012
- d. Develop Immigration Attraction Strategy by April 2012 focused on doubling the percentage of foreign born population in the region from 3.5% to 7% by 2016
- e. Develop a Highly Skilled Professionals recruitment and retention strategy
- Increase Associate Degrees/Some College and Technical Certificates
Key Metric: 18-24 year old age bracket from 38% (1495 persons) to 47% (1884 persons) for net increase of 389 persons by 2016
- 18-24 year old age bracket from 38% (1495 persons) to 47% (1884 persons) for net increase of 389 persons by 2016
- Identify Industry Sectors with critical skill needs
- Work with Secondary, Post-Secondary and Vermont State College System and the broader region to develop education programs to meet industry needs
- d. Partner with UMass
- Identify public and private resources to support a sustainable implementation of workforce development plan
2. The communications task force will begin working on:
- Develop a coordinated regional marketing plan to promote SE Vermont as the best place to live, place, and work.
- Create a Young Professionals Group (YPG) to support and attract 20-44 year old professionals and workers
- By Q4-2011 identify and evaluate strengths and weaknesses of existing young professional networks and social organizations
- Engage a representative group of existing younger individuals (especially 18-35 yrs. old) in the community to assess interests and the role of young professions in the region’s economic future
- As a result of Action 13b recommend a set of activities and actions to be adopted supporting both the YPG and entrepreneurial climate of the regions, such as: business seminars, speakers, business plan competitions, investment forums, social events, etc.
3. Patrick volunteered to begin researching Objective 4
- Define and implement an Innovation Ecosystem within 3 years
- In 2012, assess regional innovation and entrepreneurial climate based upon best practice criteria (Innovation Index): facilities, governance, business services, access to capital, business networks, culture, R&D capacities, etc.
- Convene an Action Team to use the Innovation Index for SeVEDS developed in 12.a to address complex regulatory and other concerns with State and Local jurisdictions.
Next SeVEDS meeting is January 19 at 2 PM at Brattleboro Municipal Center