SEVEDS Board Agenda Meeting, February 11, 2016 | 2 pm-4 pm BDCC
Attendees: Bob Stevens, Meg Streeter, Bill Colvin, Luke Stafford, Avery Schwenk, Berta Magginness, Konstantin von Krusenstiern, Jill James , Susan McMahon, Patrick Moreland, Peter Yost, Martin Langeveld, Kristin Mehalick and Alex Beck
The Usual Business
- Welcome and Gathering
- Bob Stevens suggested to the board the time of the monthly board meeting be
moved to 3:00 – 5:00 pm. Board agreed and approved this change.
- Approve Minutes
- Motion to approve the minutes made by Bob Stevens, seconded by Meg Streeter
and approved unanimously
- Review and Approve Financials – Jill
- The SeVEDS Executive Committee will reviewing the financials in depth prior to
each board meeting
- Motion to approve the financials made by Bob Stevens, seconded by Meg Streeter
and approved unanimously
CEDS and FY ‘16 Board Priority Area Updates
- General CEDS
- CEDS Objective 1: Act Regionally
- CEDS Objective 2: Create an entrepreneurial environment and culture to enhance existing business and grow new business.
- Board 2016 Priority:
- Vital Economy Visit to the Region – Kristin
- Frank Knott and Jim Haguewood were in region the week of January 25th and met with a number of the region’s businesses regarding the Green Building Cluster and Accelerator. Some of those businesses included, Bennington Regional Planning Commission/Regional Development Commission, Peter Elwell and Patrick Moreland from the Town of Brattleboro, Fairpoint, Green Mountain Power, Vermont Department of Financial Regulation
- Green Building Cluster
- Continuing to conducted the feasibility study of the region and determining what the entrepreneurial climate looks like.
- CEDS Objective 3: Improve wage parity with the surrounding laborshed
- Board 2016 Priority: Green Building, Healthcare, Tech Driven Precision Manufacturing
- Milestone 1 Event Recap – Kristin and Bob
- The GB Milestone 2 Event took place on Wednesday, January 27th at Marlboro Graduate School. 56 people from businesses and organizations across the Tri-State Region. This was an exciting opportunity to bring assets from across all regions and form breakout sessions of each key area (Knowledge Center, Products and Services, and FIRE – Finance, Insurance and Real Estate). Next steps: each action team will be meeting as smaller groups at the end of February
- Reference Material: GB Cluster Analysis
- CEDS Objective 4: Increase the size and quality of the workforce
- Board 2016 Priority: Workforce Development and Internship Program – Alex
- FYI -Placed 2 new Interns- Haytham (United Way) & Rachael (Pine Heights)
- Struggling to find health care organizations that will place an intern because of the patient confidentiality laws
- FYI -Recruited 2 new businesses
- Community Collaborative for Guildford
- Windham Central Supervisory Union- Act 46 Intern
- FYI- WETF Program has been fully funded – the “Fast Track to Success” grant has been funded and is working with the local high schools throughout the region the early stages of planning
- FYI- School Board Orientation Meetings begin 2/9 – Alex Beck will be meeting with School Boards throughout the Windham region to introduce board members to the “Fast Tracks to Success” program.
- CEDS Objective 5: Retain and attract younger talent through engagement linkages, lifestyle amenities, and meaningful career opportunities
- Board 2016 Priority: SoVT Recruiting
- Recently had 50 YP’s attend Grafton Ponds Event
- YP Gala – The YP Gala will take place on Saturday, February 27th, 7:30 pm at the Brattleboro Museum & Art Center
- Press Release Sent Out
- $1,400 in-cash raised
- $1,000 in-kind
- Will be continuing marketing efforts through event date
- Review Materials for Town Meeting Day – Kristin
- The board would like a question and answer documents
- 10-12 questions
- What is SeVEDS?, What is the difference between BDCC and SeVEDS? What have our successes been in the last year?, What are we currently doing? Number and location of all Internships in each town?
- Need to broaden the communication plan for SeVEDS as a whole – posting in local papers, more PR is needed
- YP Gala Fundraising Update
Cash Donations: $2,050, In-Kind Donations: ~$1,049, Ticket Sales: $227.46
Total Cash Received: $2,277
Projected Expenses: $1,980
Our current list of Partners are: ($500+)
Brattleboro Savings & Loan
New Chapter, Inc.
Brattleboro Museum & Arts Center
Our current list of Sponsors are: ($100-499)
SIT Graduate Institute
Raffle & Auction Items:
A Two night stay with skiing at the Grand Summit at Mount Snow for two.
Four lift tickets
Two foursomes for 18 holes.
2 All-Day Adventure Passes
2 Lift Tickets
2x $50 Gift Cards
Brew Your Own Batch
3 month Membership
Vermont Packing House
12lbs of Bacon!
Other Business / Announcements (as needed)
Next Regular Board Meeting will be on Thursday, March 17th 3pm-5pm. Location BDCC